With Domo, it’s easy to collect and connect all your data sources to create a single source of truth. But how can you connect data from all the disparate systems in your stack without duplicating it—and still allow advanced transformations, permissioning, and writeback to your source systems?
That’s the challenge faced by organizations that are already heavily invested in data lakes and warehouses, or are in highly regulated industries—like healthcare or finance—that require their data be kept in their infrastructure at rest for security or compliance reasons.
The solution? With Domo’s federated data model, you can query data from your existing data lakes and warehouses without moving or duplicating the data in Domo.
The benefits of data federation
Data federation makes it simple to seamlessly integrate Domo into your existing infrastructure without a lot of implementation time, expense, or hassle. This allows you to optimize your data warehouse investments without having to recreate anything from scratch. With data federation, you can:
- Avoid data duplication. Domo’s federated data model keeps your data where it is. Instead, queries are sent directly to your data lake and translated from the Domo query language to the SQL format of your database. This ensures data stays secure and consistent by avoiding duplication in multiple locations, where there’s a risk that data becomes out-of-sync and outdated. It also reduces the bandwidth needs and data latency of data transfers, lowering costs while improving performance.
- Keep data protected. Domo makes it simple to protect data by allowing you to grant permissions to approved database tables. You can also define cache time to live (TTL) to be as short as five seconds. Once the TTL expires, so does the data within Domo, ensuring data that shouldn’t be accessible in Domo isn’t. Data is encrypted at all stages of its lifecycle, including in transit and at rest.
- Ensure responsiveness. Persistent socket connection and automatic load balancing mean negligible impact on Card loading time compared to data stored on Domo’s cloud.
Data federation is easier than ever
Thanks to Domo’s fall release, it’s never been easier to implement and manage federated datasets. Assuming the prerequisites are in place, it shouldn’t take more than an hour to get a federated agent up and running. Our new federated adapters make it simple to get started in just a few easy steps:
- Navigate to your datasets in Domo
- Select the Federated option
- Enter the account credentials for your data warehouse
Once that’s done, your federated datasets will have the same availability as your other Domo datasets. We now have dedicated adapters for nearly every major data warehouse, including:
- Amazon Athena
- Amazon Redshift
- Google BigQuery
- IBM Db2
- Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft SQL Server
- SAP HANA
Don’t see your warehouse on the list? Just let us know and we can help you get the adapter you need developed, or show you how to easily create your own adapter.
Getting started with federated data in Domo
To learn more about the architectural approach Domo uses for rendering federated data, security details, prerequisites and more, check out this article in our Knowledge Base.