As businesses evolve in the digital marketplace, it has become critical for them to have access to accurate and timely data in order to make informed decisions.
Data continues to flow in ever-greater quantities, and businesses need to be able to process and analyze this data quickly in order to keep up with the competition.
This has led many organizations to adopt business intelligence (BI) solutions that enable them to make sense of their data and use it effectively. While basic methods of data tracking such as spreadsheets and report generation can provide some insights, they are often not enough to keep up with the volume and complexity of data that businesses now have to deal with.
In order to accommodate the large amounts of data that businesses need to work with, they must leverage tools and techniques such as orchestration in BI.
Orchestration is a process that involves taking multiple data sources, both internal and external to an organization, and transforming them into a single coherent whole that includes valuable insights for making business decisions.
Orchestration requires sophisticated technology—which makes it a key component of BI solutions.
In this article, we will break down the concept of orchestration in BI and explain how it works. We will also explore some of the key benefits that this process provides, as well as take a look at some real-world examples that illustrate its value.
What is orchestration in business intelligence?
In order to understand orchestration, it is first necessary to understand what business intelligence (BI) is.
BI can be defined as a set of tools and processes that are used to collect, store, analyze, and present data for improved decision-making.
The purpose of BI is to provide businesses with a way to make better use of the data that they have in order to stay competitive in their markets.
Orchestration is one key component of BI solutions. With so many data sources now available, businesses need a way to combine all of this data into a single coherent whole.
Orchestration is the process of taking multiple data sources and transforming them into one consistent format that can be easily understood and used for business decision-making.
For companies to truly make the most of their data, they need to utilize orchestration in BI.
Why should I focus on orchestration?
There are many reasons why orchestration should be a key focus for businesses when they are developing their BI solutions.
1. Increased accuracy: When data from multiple sources is combined and reconciled, it leads to increased accuracy and completeness of insights.
2. Improved timeliness: By automating the process of data collection and transformation, businesses can ensure that their data is always up-to-date and ready for use.
3. Greater scalability: With orchestration, businesses can easily scale their BI systems to keep up with growing data volumes and processing needs.
4. Better user experience: By creating streamlined and consistent data displays, businesses can create a more intuitive user experience that is easier for both business users and technical staff to work with.
5. Cost savings: This enhanced user experience often leads to a reduction in staff time and effort, which can result in significant cost savings for an organization.
Overall, there are many benefits that businesses can gain from focusing on orchestration when implementing their business intelligence solutions. Whether they are looking to improve accuracy, timeliness, scalability, or user experience, orchestration can help.
The orchestration process
So what does orchestration look like step-by-step? Here is a brief overview of the process:
The first step is to collect data from all relevant sources, both internal and external to the organization.
This data can come from a variety of sources, including transactional systems, web analytics tools, social media platforms, and more.
Proper collection requires both the right tools and processes. Businesses need to have a way to access the data, as well as a method for storing it securely. If you aren’t already using an enterprise-level data warehouse solution, this may be a good time to look into one.
This step is where orchestration truly shines, as it enables businesses to combine all of their data into one coherent whole that can be used to gain actionable insights and make informed business decisions.
In short, the key steps in the orchestration are data collection, transformation, and analysis. By automating these processes through the use of sophisticated BI tools, companies can gain valuable insights that can help them make better business decisions.
Practical applications of orchestration in business intelligence
To better understand how orchestration works in practice, let’s take a look at a real-world example.
Imagine you are the CEO of Company X. Your primary goal is to increase sales and profits, but you are also aware of the need to keep costs under control. To achieve these objectives, you need to have a clear understanding of your company’s financial situation.
You decide to implement a business intelligence solution that will give you visibility into all aspects of your company’s finances. This includes data on sales, costs, margins, inventory levels, and more.
Your orchestration process will automate the collection of this data from all these disparate sources and load it into your data warehouse.
Once the data is in your data warehouse, it needs to be transformed into a usable format. This includes processes such as data cleansing, normalization, and aggregation.
Once the data has been transformed, it can then be analyzed using a variety of BI tools and techniques. This analysis will give you insights into your company’s financial situation, which you can use to make informed business decisions.
For example, let’s say that your analysis shows that sales are increasing but margins are decreasing. You can use this information to make decisions about how to increase profits.
You might decide to focus on selling higher-margin products, or you might decide to reduce costs by streamlining your production process. Either way, you would not have been able to make these decisions without the insights that were generated by your business intelligence solution.
Tips to enhance your orchestration efforts
There are several steps that you can take to enhance your orchestration efforts and maximize the value of your business intelligence solution. These include:
1. Automate as much of the process as possible, including both data collection and data analysis. This will help to ensure consistency and accuracy, while also reducing manual tasks for employees.
3. Focus on developing relationships with business partners and vendors who can provide additional data sources for your orchestration process. This will enable you to create a comprehensive view of your company’s financial situation by combining internal and external data.
4. Constantly evaluate and refine your orchestration process to ensure that it is providing optimal value to your organization. This might include making changes to the way you collect data or using new tools and techniques for analysis.
5. Communicate the value of your orchestration process to key stakeholders within your organization, so that they can see how it supports business goals and helps to drive success.
The bottom line
Orchestration is a key component of any effective business intelligence solution. By automating the collection, transformation, and analysis of data, companies can gain clearer insights into their financial situation and make better decisions to drive growth.
To get the most out of your orchestration efforts, be sure to automate as much of the process as possible, invest in quality data management tools, and focus on building relationships with business partners and vendors to obtain additional data sources.
With the right BI tool, you can not only orchestrate your data but also use this data to gain deeper insights into your company’s financial situation and make better decisions to promote growth. Don’t miss this chance to get ahead of the competition with the power of business intelligence.
Check out some related resources:
Domo Named a Leader in Nucleus Research’s 2023 Analytics Technology Value Matrix
Data Never Sleeps 10.0
Domo for Marketers: Tips and tools to seamlessly manage marketing data
Try Domo for yourself. Completely free.
Domo transforms the way these companies manage business.